Need to escape the elements?
A nice cool, dark movie theater may just be the perfect place to spend a couple of hours.
Here’s what’s opening this weekend.
SICARIO: DAY OF THE SOLDADO (Action)
WHAT’S IT ABOUT? The drug war on the U.S.-Mexico border has escalated as the cartels have begun trafficking terrorists across the U.S. border. To fight the war, federal agent Matt Graver re-teams with the mercurial Alejandro.
WHO’S IN IT? Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin, Catherine Keener, Matthew Modine, Jeffrey Donovan
- This is the second installment in a proposed Sicario trilogy.
- Denis Villeneuve, who directed the first film, had to pass up on the sequel because of scheduling conflicts with Arrival (2016) and Blade Runner 2049 (2017).
- “Sicario” means “hitman” in Spanish and “soldado” means “soldier.”
- This is the third action movie for Josh Brolin this year, following Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Deadpool 2 (2018).
UNCLE DREW (Comedy)
WHAT’S IT ABOUT? Desperate to win a basketball tournament, a streetball team manager enlists the legendary Uncle Drew to return to the court.
WHO’S IN IT? Kyrie Irving, Lil Rel Howery, Shaquille O’Neal, Nick Kroll, Tiffany Haddish
- The Uncle Drew character got its start in Pepsi Max commercials.
- Kyrie Irving, who plays Uncle Drew, was traded from the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Boston Celtics while shooting the movie.
- Reality star NeNe Leakes makes a cameo.